Saturday, November 28, 2015

art making




Good morning all.. today's blog is about my art making. I have been beating myself up for years that I don't do art daily. I consider myself an artist.. maybe not a good artist but and artist none the less. I started with oil painting. When my ex uncle died I inherited all his art supplies. He had tons of oil paints, brushes and paraphernalia for painting. I was so excited. I never painted before. So my ex's mother bought me a adult ed painting class. So I started my career in painting. I wasn't very good but with patience and perseverance I was able to create the most beautiful portrait of a fairy sitting in a field of flowers and butterflies. From there I did a bunch more. Then certain set backs happened in my life and I strayed from painting. But I did decide to go to college to get a Master's in Art Therapy. Because of this I had to take several art classes just to get accepted in the program. I was horrible at drawing and painting and mostly pottery.

So for years I did no art work. Then I discovered art journaling. instead of just writing down your thoughts you incorporate pictures, decorations and fodder. Fodder (random scraps and items to create with) . Mixed media was foreign to me. You use painting, drawing, stickers, tape, glue, stamping, etc all together on one art piece instead of just oil painting for example.

It was my desire to do art journaling and/ or mixed media every day. This is where art therapy comes in. The therapeutic qualities of art making are great for your thoughts, positivity and mood. So if I did that every day I'd be a happy lady right?!!

So I made my basement into an art studio. It was a place to work out but we sold the treadmill. So it was just beckoning me to come down there. The benefits are I can spread all my supplies out all over the place. I have to use the space heater because its very cold down there. It's soo worth it.

So I have used it every day since putting it there. except Thanksgiving day. and Ruben came down yesterday and said.. what are you doing down here that you are here all the time now. So I showed him a few things and he was impressed. And actually so am I! this is one of my goals to do art on the daily ... fingers crossed it stays that way!

3 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin said...

Maybe you can showcase and sell some of these works of art!! Keep up the good work!

Erin said...

Maybe you can showcase and sell some of these works of art!! Keep up the good work!