Friday, July 31, 2015

Missing my grandfather

So Pepere  (grandpa in French) has been on my mind a lot lately. He meant the world to me. I actually had the opportunity to care for him on a daily basis. Towards the end of his life he developed dementia. It was pretty serious. I've seen even worse when I worked at the nursing home. He was always repeating the same question over and over again. He never knew what he was 'suppose' to be doing and would ask.. is this what I should be doing? Luckily as I believe it I have extreme patience.

I would help him get on the bus that transports seniors to the senior center. Pepere prior to my care had been driving to the senior center by himself at age 93!! they would often find him in his car early AM sleeping in it. we struggled to figure out how to get him to stop driving. He was so adamant about driving. He use to say.. I thank God every day for letting me get around the way I do. Meaning driving. finally one night he actually left his house and drove to we think the senior center but he got lost. He drove to several towns away and actually pulled over to a cop on the side of the road to ask him for directions. Long story short the cop knew he was demented and revoked his license right then and there. The neighbors noticed him leave and called my mom. she was able to go to the scene because the cop called her. her name was in his wallet. she was so relieved he revoked the license.

Anyways. I loved taking care of Pepere. There were afternoons when I would watch tv while he sat in the porch. I regret that but some people say.. you couldn't be on top of him 24/7. I remember taking him out for ice cream at Friendly's one day and that was awesome.

overall I was able to help my grandfather in his final years. He ended up in a home because he got sick and falling. he stopped eating at the nursing home and eventually died. 

I gave the eulogy at his funeral and I am so proud of that. I know he is watching over me right now. Love you pepere!

Today's drink: Smores frappuchino



1 comment:

Theresa D said...

Nice story about your love for pepere. You are an amazing caretaker. I guess you haven't blogged since.